Rosemary essential oil is believed to have several benefits for hair, including promoting hair growth, improving hair thickness, and reducing dandruff.
A comparative study between rosemary essential oil and minoxidil, a common hair growth treatment, found that both showed promise in promoting hair growth. Rosemary essential oil, a natural remedy, demonstrated fewer side effects and was well-tolerated by participants. While minoxidil was slightly more effective in stimulating hair growth, rosemary essential oil's benefits, including reduced scalp itching and dandruff, make it an attractive alternative for those seeking a more natural and gentle approach to improving hair health.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to use rosemary essential oil for hair application:
Step 1: Choose your carrier oil
- Start by selecting a carrier oil. Carrier oils help dilute the potent rosemary essential oil to prevent skin irritation. Popular choices include coconut oil, jojoba oil, Almond oil, or Castor Oil. Always make sure that you choose Pure, Organic, and Cold Pressed Carrier oils for maximum benefit. ShatPratishat provides such range of carrier oils to choose from.
Step 2: Prepare your mixture
- In a small glass bottle, combine the carrier oil and rosemary essential oil. A typical ratio is about 3-5 drops of rosemary essential oil for every tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Seal the bottle and shake it well to ensure the oils are thoroughly mixed.
Step 3: Perform a patch test
- Before applying the mixture to your scalp, it's a good idea to perform a patch test to check for any adverse reactions. Apply a small amount of the diluted mixture to the inside of your wrist or elbow and wait 24 hours. If you experience any irritation or allergic reactions, do not use the mixture on your scalp.
Step 4: Prepare your hair
- Ensure your hair is clean and dry before applying the rosemary oil mixture. You can wash your hair with a mild shampoo and let it air dry or use a hairdryer on low heat.
Step 5: Apply the mixture to your scalp
- Section your hair to expose your scalp.
- Dip your fingers or a cotton ball into the rosemary oil mixture.
- Apply the mixture directly to your scalp, focusing on areas where you want to stimulate hair growth or address issues like dandruff.
- Gently massage your scalp with your fingertips in a circular motion for about 5-10 minutes to promote circulation and ensure even distribution.
Step 6: Comb through your hair
- Use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the remaining mixture through your hair from root to tip.
Step 7: Cover your hair
- Put on a shower cap to trap heat and promote better absorption of the oils.
- Wrap a warm towel around your head or use a hairdryer on low heat to gently heat the shower cap. Leave the mixture on your hair and scalp for at least 30 minutes to an hour, allowing the oils to penetrate.
Step 8: Wash and rinse
- After the recommended time, wash your hair thoroughly with a mild shampoo to remove the oil.
- Condition your hair as usual.
Step 9: Repeat as needed
- You can use this rosemary oil treatment 1-2 times a week for best results. Consistency is key to seeing improvements in hair health and growth.
Remember that individual results may vary, and it may take several weeks or even months of regular use to see noticeable changes in your hair. Always perform a patch test and discontinue use if you experience any adverse reactions. If you have any pre-existing scalp conditions or allergies, consult a healthcare professional before using essential oils on your hair and scalp.